Friday, March 23, 2012

Tips for your pug's stay at the Dog Boarding Kennel

Tough guy putting on a brave face
Spanky acts like a tough guy
Tomorrow we head off on vacation. Spanky, well, he gets to go what we lovingly call "Doggy Overnight Camp." But he knows better. While sending Spanky off to the dog boarding kennel is never a fun experience, I’ve learned that a little preparation makes it easier.

--Send your dog’s own food

Even if the dog boarding kennels provides food, it’s better to send Fido’s own food. Kennel stays are often stressful for dogs and it’s no time to fool around with what he eats. Spanky is on a grain free diet and I always send his own food, along with measuring cup.

--Consider putting your dog on a probiotic

Spanky got giardia frequently as a puppy so I was already in the habit of giving him a probiotic pill. I continued this at his kennel stays as probiotics may help stave off diarrhea that sometimes afflicts stressed animals. One time I didn’t include his probiotic and I noticed his poop was a little loose when we picked him. So from then on I have always included it. I send a bag of pill pockets along with the bottle. At home I just smear peanut butter on, but it’s easier at the dog boarding kennel to use a pill pocket. It’s like a treat for Spanky, too. I’d recommend starting your dog about a week before you go on vacation so their system starts to build up resistence.

--Send along doggy’s favorite bed or blanket

If your dog has a doggy bed, by all means, send it along. If they don’t have one, consider sending a favorite blanket.  I don’t recommend, however, sending a plush toy. As dog owners know, dogs are great at destroying their toys and there’s a good chance it will get destroyed at the kennel. At home I can snatch it out of Spanky’s mouth if I see that he’s got into the filling. At a dog boarding kennel they may not be able to do so. One stay Spanky actually chewed a hole in his bed (it was a cheaper one and not his better one) but fortunately they took it away as he was digging out the filling. So make sure your bed is in good condition and not one of the cheapo ones.

Which brings me to the next point . . .
Yum-o
Spanky's fave: rawhide rings

--Send plenty of rawhide or Nyla bones (whatever you may use). 

 Spanky doesn’t chew on rawhide much anymore, but in the kennel, he does tend to chew more, so having something sturdy to chew on is a good idea. It’s good stress relief.


--Lastly, make sure you pooch is up to date on his shots --

 Especially bordatella (kennel cough.) Most dog boarding facilities require it, so if they don’t request it, then I’d question them why they don’t.

1 comment: